En poursuivant votre navigation sur ce site, vous acceptez l'utilisation de cookies.

Chantilly, one of the few castles of France Furnished

Chest of Drawers

Location: The Prince’s Bedroom

Dutch oak, amaranth satin finish veneer, barberry, sycamore, pear, wild service tree, holly, maple, hornbeam and boxwood. White marble. Gilded, engraved bronze.

This chest of drawers was commissioned from the cabinet maker Jean-Henri Riesener (supplier to the Royal Furniture Depository) for Louis XVI’s bedroom in Versailles in 1775. It was made in honour of the young king. The inlaid wood panel depicted Minerva and two medallions with the figures of the king and queen. It was replaced during the Revolution with a pastoral trophy. When Louis-Philippe’s belongings were sold in 1857, the Duke of Aumale purchased this piece.

Vine wood table

Location: The Gallery of Battles

Walnut, vine wood, amaranth and ivory. Anonymous, c. 1540.

The tabletop is made from a single piece of vine wood, with Henri IV’s coat of arms and Anne de Montmorency’s motto. The veneer of the tabletop was probably obtained by peeling a vine stock with an exceptionally long straight section. This table is a source of curiosity and had been part of the Condé princes’ collections since the 17th century. Seized during the Revolution, it was subsequently returned to the last Prince of Condé.

The mineral cabinet by Haupt

Location: Antechamber

Oak, rosewood, sycamore, birch, amaranth, holly, ebony, brazil wood.

The mineral cabinet by Georg Haupt, dating from 1774, is made up of various types of wood and topped with minerals. This is one of the rare pieces of furniture belonging to the Princes of Condé that was returned to Chantilly after the revolutionary period. This cabinet, which contained a rich mineral collection, was a gift to Louis-Joseph de Bourbon, Prince of Condé, by King Gustave III, following his visit to Chantilly on 25 March 1771. The prince had created a science and natural history room in the Petit Château, which King Gustave III had visited during his stay.

Writing Table

Location: Large Corner Room

Oak and walnut. Tortoise shell veneer, ebony, brass. Gilded bronze decoration depicting female figures.

This writing table was ordered around 1715 from André-Charles Boulle by Louis-Henri de Bourbon, Prince of Condé, who installed it in 1720 in his office at the Château de Chantilly. Confiscated in 1793 and transported to Versailles in 1834 for the museum of French History created by Louis-Philippe, the table was loaned by the Château de Versailles in 2012 in exchange for a large writing table of Louis XVI, kept at the time in the Institut de France. This cross-loan enabled two exceptional pieces of furniture to be returned to their original homes.

Cylinder desk

Location: The Duke of Aumale’s Bedroom

Oak with pear wood, rosewood veneer, ebony and brass. Gilded bronze.

This cylinder desk by the cabinet makers Jean-Michel and Guillaume Grohé was a gift to the Duke of Aumale from his father Louis-Philippe in 1847. It is the type of desk referred to as a “minister desk”, with two pedestals descending to floor level on either side. It features an effigy of Louis XIV, depicted in the small bronze medallion on its upper part, which bears his name.

The desk with file case and pendulum

Location: Gallery of Battles

Oak, ebony and brass. Ebony veneer, gilded bronze and leather.

The desk and its file case and pendulum, attributed to the cabinet maker Joseph Baumhauer, with bronzes by Caffieri, was made around 1757 for the art lover and collector Ange-Laurent Lalive de Jully. This piece of furniture, said to be “in the Greek style”, apparent on Louis-Joseph Le Lorrain’s cards, is inspired by Antiquity, which was in fashion at the time thanks to the discovery of Pompeii and Herculaneum. It remains, in the history of decorative arts, one of the finest examples of early Neoclassicism. This desk was acquired by the Duke of Aumale in 1882.

Four Louis XVI period Chairs

Location: The Music Room

Carved and gilded beech wood. Louis XVI chairs, covered in watered silk.

The decorator Eugène Lami had the Duke of Aumale purchase these four prestigious chairs from Étienne-Anne Escudier’s curiosity shop in 1845. The four chairs were ordered in 1787 from Georges Jacob by King Louis XVI for his Games Room in the Château de Saint-Cloud.